UNA-OKC Meeting Minutes August 14, 2017 

 

Present: Kellen Brooks, Bill Bryant, Priya Desai, Misheala Giddings, Sinead Maguina, Nancy Musselman, Michelle Rodriguez, Floydette Seal, Jo Snyder, Richard White. 

Guest: Sam West.

Opening of Meeting, Introductions & Announcements. Sinead called the meeting to order at 5:35pm. We convened at the Disciples Center, 301 NW 36th Street.

(1)        Announcements: The directors addressed a couple of items of general interest.

Our community service project for Nelson Mandela Day was “great,” according to those who participated. About 5 of us worked the food pantry at Mercy Mission.

On August 24th, we will enjoy Trivia Night at The Barrel, 4308 N. Western, in OKC. It will be part of the “Think Global / Drink Local” series – for our Young Professionals Network (YPN). The fun starts at 6pm.

The YPN planning committee will meet after this meeting to discuss planning of activities in September and October.

 

(2)        Program Planning. The board considered the planning of future events.

(a)    Peace Day. Priya reported that our observance of the International Day of Peace – which was scheduled to include two events – is now back to one. The Turkish Festival, which had been set for September 9th, has been postponed ‘til next spring. The good news is that we are proceeding with plans to dedicate a temporary exhibit of Pinwheels for Peace at the State Capitol on Thursday, September 21st. There will be speakers from several organizations as the pinwheels are deployed on the Capitol lawn, 6 to 8pm.

(b)   Our plans for United Nations Day are still forming. We think a panel of local community leaders will be more attractive than a national speaker. This year’s theme is “Global Goals, Local Leaders.”

The date is unsettled. We’re hoping that Nancy is able to get approval from Mayflower Church to use their community hall. We’ll request Saturday, October 21st or October 28th.

Priya suggested that we should plan a little something to express our appreciation for Larry Eberhardt and Jarrett Jobe. Each of them has helped to support our chapter so much over the years.

More brainstorming: Richard White suggested the names of several people who might be invited to form a panel. We would like to find some smart, knowledgeable folks who can speak about Peace, Gender Equality, Poverty and Economic Justice, Health, Food and Sustainability, etc.

Traditionally, this event has been a luncheon. Finger food was suggested, served at tables. Michelle said we should ask Olive Garden about catering. Sometimes they will provide a discount for non-profit groups. Other options were suggested, as well.

Ticket pricing: Regular, $20; Student, $10. For people without a lot of money, we might offer “Scholarships Available.”

 

(3)         Business Reports.

Minutes of the July Meeting. The minutes of the July meeting were reviewed. A motion for approval was made, and a second was heard. Motion carried.

Treasurer’s Report. Floydette Seal gave us a financial report:

Treasurer’s Report

Previous Balance on 06/30/2017      …         …         …         $ 3,001.83

Income:

OU Donation: Refugee Crisis Panel                …              70.00

Guyutes Fund-Raiser               …         …         …            300.00

Square, Inc.                 …         …         …         …              24.31

Total Income               …         …         …         $ 424.31

Expenses:

P.O. Box Rental           …         …         …         …             112.00

Total Expenses            …         …         …         $  112.00

Ending Balance 07/31/17      …         …         …         …          $ 3,314.14

 

—        —        —        —        —        —       

 

Communications Report. Richard invited everyone to let him know if you have any ideas about news to share on Facebook and other social media platforms.

(4)        New Business. Priya gave us an update on the controversy involving the human rights award.

 

The Oklahoma Universal Human Rights Alliance (OUHRA) re-considered its decision to recognize Kendall Wayne Vowell with an award in 2015. The Alliance decided to rescind the award to Mr. Vowell. Instead, they gave the award to “the family of” Kendall Wayne Vowell – expanding the award, in effect, to include his parents. They started a program for inmates with developmental disabilities.

 

(5)        Tasks. We are looking for a volunteer to step into the role of Chapter Secretary. Also, the office of Treasurer is available to anyone who has a knack for managing money and keeping a balance. Let Sinead know if you are interested.

Finally, consider making a gift to our chapter. It’s easy. Find the “donate” link on this webpage:

http://una-okc.blogspot.com/2015/10/support-your-local-chapter.html

 

(6)        Adjournment. With no further business to conduct, the meeting ended at 6:15pm.

 

Next Meeting:
Monday, September 11, 2017 — 5:30pm
The Disciples Center
301 NW 36th Street
OKC   73118 

Advertisements

UNA-OKC Meeting Minutes July 10, 2017

Present: Kellen Brooks, Bill Bryant, Priya Desai, Misheala Giddings, Sinead Maguina, Bansari Mehta, Michelle Rodriguez, Floydette Seal, Jo Snyder.

Guest: Alejandra Salinas.

Opening of Meeting, Introductions & Announcements. Sinead called the meeting to order at 5:34pm. We convened at the Disciples Center, 301 NW 36th Street.

(1) Announcements: The directors addressed an item of general interest.
Our Young Professionals Happy Hour will take place at 6pm on Thursday, July 20th, at Fassler Hall. This will be our “Think Global / Drink Local” program. This month’s emphasis is on hunger and sustainable development. Guest speaker, Andrew Sartain of Earth Rebirth.

In August, Think Global / Drink Local is scheduled for August 18th. Misheala will have the details about the time, place, etc.

(2) Program Planning. The board considered the planning of future events.

(a) Nelson Mandela Day. This is our annual day of community service. We will form a team of volunteers to work at the Mercy Food Pantry, 3840 N. St. Clair Ave., in OKC. We’ll meet there on Saturday, July 15th, at 10am.

(b) Think Global / Drink Local. (See above).

(c) Peace Day. Two events are being planned in conjunction with the International Day of Peace, September 21st. First, on Peace Day itself, we will create a field of pinwheels at the State Capitol. It will be a static display that can be enjoyed by people as they pass by on Lincoln Boulevard. We’ll ask several community representatives to participate in a ceremony commemorating the International Day of Peace display. Details are still being worked out.

The second event will take place a couple of weeks in advance of Peace Day. We have been invited to participate in the Turkish Festival on Saturday, September 9th, at the Myriad Gardens. There will be a peace walk at 2pm. Additionally, throughout the day, we will have a table where we will invite people to make pinwheels to be donated to our Peace Day display at the Capitol. We’ll offer raw materials that can be crafted into
2 small, colorful pinwheels. We’ll invite people to add a small message of peace to their
creations.

It was suggested that we should also have a supply of ready-made pinwheels to sell as a
fund-raiser. Michelle has an on-line source for durable, inexpensive pinwheels.
The Peace Day planning committee includes Sinead, Priya, Michelle, Misheala, Bill, Sarah
Adams-Cornell, Noel Jacobs, Kadir Akkus (Raindrop Turkish House), and others.

(d) United Nations Day will be observed on Saturday, October 21st. This year’s theme is
“Global Goals, Local Leaders.” We’re hoping that Nancy is able to get approval from
Mayflower Church to use their community hall. A panel discussion will be organized, andit will relate to Global Goals somehow. We’re hoping for a 3-4 person panel plus a
moderator. Lunch will be served. We need to be thinking about Silent Auction items,
too.

(e) Michelle observed that we ought to have a fund-raiser in advance of UN Day so that
we’ll have cash on hand to pay for catering. We brainstormed some possible event ideas
and venues. Michelle will do some research. Further discussion will take place via email
or elsewhere online.

(3) Business Reports.
Minutes of the June Meeting. The minutes of the June meeting were reviewed. Priya moved for their approval; seconded by Michelle. Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report. Floydette Seal gave us a financial report:

Treasurer’s Report
Previous Balance on 05/31/2017 … … … $ 2,835.03
Income:
Donations … … … … 70.00
PayPal Transfer … … … … 96.80
Total Income … … … $ 166.80
Expenses:
No expenditures … … … … 0.00
Total Expenses … … … $ 0.00
Ending Balance 06/30/17 … … … … $ 3,001.83

It was noted that the rental fee on our post office box is due. Floydette is on it.
Membership Development Report. Bansari summarized the latest membership report from our national office.

(The report for the period ending June, 2017, shows that we have 46 regular [paid] members and 26 GenUN members).

(4) New Business. Several items were considered in this part of the meeting.

A. Fund-Raising. It was noted that fund-raising is a continuing need of our chapter. Is anyone interested in Bowling for Peace? Possibly on December 9 or 10? Ideas are being explored.

B. Human Rights Award Sponsorship Situation. Priya reported on a controversy arising from one of the human rights awards that was made by the Oklahoma Universal Human Rights Alliance (OUHRA). Our chapter co-sponsors the awards. We received a letter from an individual who was protesting the decision to recognize Kendall Wayne Vowell with an award in 2015. Mr. Vowell was recognized for his work to support the rehabilitation of prisoners. He, himself, is incarcerated for a crime he committed 34 years ago – a murder.

The letter of protest was from a family member of the murder victim. The letter asked for the award to be rescinded.

Priya brought this situation to the attention of the members of the OUHRA. They were
scheduled to meet earlier in the day (July 10th) to make a decision on the protest. We don’t know the outcome of the meeting yet.

C. Other. Sinead reported that Carmen Clay has invited our chapter to provide a guest speaker to participate in Peace Week activities at Casady School on September 12th. The speaker will fill a time slot from 7:45am to 8:30am. Alejandra Salinas volunteered for this task. Michelle Rodriguez also expressed an interest in helping.

(5) Tasks. We are looking for a volunteer to step into the role of Chapter Secretary. Also,
the office of Treasurer is available to anyone who has a knack for managing money and keeping a balance. Let Sinead know if you are interested.

Finally, consider making a gift to our chapter. It’s easy. Find the “donate” link on this webpage:

http://una-okc.blogspot.com/2015/10/support-your-local-chapter.html

(6) Adjournment. With no further business to conduct, the meeting ended at 6:20pm.

Next Meeting:
Monday, August 14, 2017 — 5:30pm
The Disciples Center
301 NW 36th Street
OKC 73118

You can download a copy of the minutes here:

download

UNA-OKC Minutes February 13, 2017

 

Present: Kellen Brooks, Bill Bryant, Priya Desai, Larry Eberhardt, Sinead Maguina, Bansari Mehta, Nancy Musselman, Floydette Seal, Jo Hill Snyder, Richard White. 

Guests: Misheala Giddings, Sam West. 

Regrets: Dee Freeland, Kye LeBoeuf, Firouz Mollaian, Akash Patel, Marina Rodriguez, Michelle Rodriguez, Jerry Stephens. 

Opening of Meeting, Introductions & Announcements. Sinead Maguina called the meeting to order at 5:32pm. We convened at the Disciples Center, 301 NW 36th Street.

(1) Announcements: The directors addressed some items of general interest. 

Sam West introduced himself, and we welcomed him to the meeting. It was noted that membership in UNA-USA is a minimum requirement for serving on our leadership team. It’s easy to join. There is an online sign-up page here … http://www.unausa.org/membership.

(a) The next program of the Jewish Muslim Film Institute will be on Sunday, March 5th, at the Temple B’Nai Israel. It will be a panel discussion featuring a report on a recent interfaith tour of the Holy Land.

(b) Priya Desai reported briefly that she is continuing to work on items related to strategic planning.

(2) Program Planning. The attention of the directors turned to program planning. Our discussion was focused on our Women’s Day program.

The program was outlined:

Date / Time … Saturday, March 4th, from 1pm to 3:30pm.

Location … Raindrop Turkish House, OKC.

Details … The annual United Nations Association of Oklahoma City Women’s Day Fundraiser will be a panel on movement building during difficult times called Organizing Women.

Our distinguished panel includes: Sarah Adams-Cornell, Tamya Cox, Dr. Maria del Guadalupe Davidson.

Moderator: Dr. Rebecca Cruise. 2

Please join us for light refreshments, a silent auction, and an engaging panel discussion followed by a question and answer period.

Richard agreed to create a flyer, Facebook Event, and a page on Eventbrite for tickets. It was agreed that we will ask $10 for admission ($5 for students).

The good folks at the Turkish House will provide Baklava, and we will bring cheese and fruit.

Kellen and Richard agreed to staff the registration table. Misheala will manage the silent auction table.

The title of the program is, “Organizing Women: A Panel on Overcoming Adversity.” 

Priya offered a motion to approve the plan as outlined; seconded by Bill Bryant. The plan for the program was approved by consensus.

(3) Business Reports. 

Minutes of the January Meeting. The minutes of the January meeting were distributed. Priya moved for their approval. Bansari Mehta offered a second. The minutes were approved: All Aye. 3

Returning to the discussion about our Women’s Day program, a suggestion was made that we should offer to compensate the Raindrop House for hosting our program. Sinead offered to get a $50 gift card, and we agreed to reimburse her.

Treasurer’s Report. Floydette circulated a report on the chapter’s finances through January 31, 2017. (See below). Bill moved to accept the report, and a second was heard. Approved without objection.

Treasurer’s Report 

Previous Balance on 12/31/2016 … … … $ 1,578.54 

Income: 

Better World Fund, Qtr 3 … … … 450.00

S&B Burgers … … … … 161.85

Pay Pal Transfer … … … 48.25

Total Income … … … $ 660.10

Expenses: 

MWC MLK Breakfast Registration … … 35.00

Richard White – Website Fee … … 13.00

Total Expenses … … … $ 48.00

Ending Balance 12/31/16 … … … … $ 2,190.64 

— — — — — — 

Membership Development Report. Bansari Mehta reported that she has not received an update from the national office in several weeks.

At this point in the meeting, Kellen Brooks reported that she received a message from Michelle Rodriguez. Michelle described several items that have been donated for the silent auction.

Communications Report. The new website looks great, and we’re continuing to stay engaged with our community through social media.

Facebook … https://www.facebook.com/UNA.OKC/

Twitter … https://twitter.com/UNA_OKC

(4) New Business. There were 4 items to be considered in this portion of the meeting. 4

a. Hispanic Cultural Day at the State Capitol, May 1st, 12 Noon to 4pm.

Our chapter has been invited to participate in the Hispanic Cultural Day at the State Capitol on May 1st.

b. Hideaway Fundraiser: Tuesday, March 7th.

Michelle has arranged for our chapter to receive a portion of the proceeds at Hideaway Pizza on North Western Ave. on Tuesday, March 7th, 4pm to close. Eat at the Hideaway, and support your local chapter of the UN Association.

c. UN Running Team – YWCA Sexual Assault Awareness Month Fundraiser: Saturday, April 22nd.

We have been invited to participate in the YWCA’s 5K fundraising run. It will take place on Saturday, April 22nd. The race starts at 7am. Richard is interested.

d. New mandated chapter bylaws: Review.

All chapters are being asked to sign a new affiliation agreement with UNA-USA. Additionally, the national organization has set some new guidelines for local chapter bylaws. We need to review our bylaws, and take necessary action by April 1st. This will be an item for our meeting in March.

(5) Tasks. Consider making a gift to our chapter. It’s easy. Find the “donate” link on this webpage:

http://una-okc.blogspot.com/2015/10/support-your-local-chapter.html

Additionally, Sinead is seeking a volunteer to take over the Secretary position. Let her know if you’d like the job:

And, we’re looking for someone to step into the role of Advocacy Director. Let Sinead know if you’re interested.

(6) Adjournment. At the conclusion of the meeting, Priya made a motion to adjourn, and it was seconded by Bansari. Without opposition, the meeting ended at about 5:59pm.

Next Meeting: Monday, March 13, 2017 — 5:30pm The Disciples Center 301 NW 36th Street OKC 73118